This dessert is perfect for using up some strawberries! All of the ingredients are something that you’d find in your cupboards so it makes a rather easy, tasty and gluttonous dessert for a day when you wish it was still Summer!
This recipe originates from our dear baker Nigella Lawson, to view the original follow this link.
Ingredients for 2-3 servings (or 2 if you are feeling hungry like us!)
- 250 grams strawberries (hulled – remember the straw trick!!)
- 25 grams caster sugar
- 15 grams ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 55g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 35g cold butter (diced)
- 50g flaked almonds
- 75g demerara sugar
- Custard to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6/400ºF. Put the hulled strawberries into a pie dish (I used a glass roasting dish about 15x20cm)
- Sprinkle over the strawberries with the sugar (25g), almonds (15g) and vanilla extract (2tsp). Stir or shake the dish to mix the ingredients.
- For the crumble topping: put the flour (55g) and baking powder (1/2tsp) in a mixing bowl and rub in the cold, diced butter (35g) with your fingers. (it should look like rough oatmeal).
- Stir in the flaked almonds (50g) and sugar (75g) with a fork.
- Tip this over the strawberry mixture, covering the strawberries in an even layer and giving a bit of a press in at the edges of the dish.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the crumble topping is a pale gold and some pink-red juices are seeping and bubbling out at the edges.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.